Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sumerville School No. 160 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
The Sumerville School District was established around 1884 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW21-11-15W in what is now the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford. The original building was replaced by a new one in 1904, and the former school was moved to a nearby farm and used as a granary. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Carberry Consolidated School District.
Among the teachers of Sumerville School were Mrs. Bousefield (1884), Miss Best, Mr. Templeton, Miss Stewart, Miss Anderson, Miss Kirk, Miss Wilkie, Mr. Dunlop, Miss Frisell, F. G. Dredge, John Grant, Mr. E. R. Simpson (1903-1904), Rose Armstrong (1904-1905), Helen Hayden, H. W. White, May Cameron, Thomas Clark, John Orr, Laura Humphrey, R. Mallock (5 years), Marjorie Fry, Thelma McDougall, Mrs. Helen Smith, Muriel Reikie, C. Thorsteinson, Annie Gardner, Mrs. Cail, Jean Hood, Jim Martin, Edith Ford, Florence Grant, Joyce Wiles (5 years), Ruth Wiles (6 years), Dorothy Reynolds, Margaret Burch, Annie Stocker, Annie Critchley, Pearl Langrell, V. Harburn, Ruby Barley, E. Shore, Pearl Witherspoon, Verle Sinclair, Mrs. Fern Nichol, Anne Enns, Mrs. E. Chisholm (5 years), and Mrs. Delma Brown.
Carberry West topographic map, 62G/14 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
The Carberry Plains: 75 Years of Progress. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.C36 Car]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2017
Back to top of page