Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ruthenian Training School / Strathcona Block (144 Tenth Street, Brandon)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

This facility was dedicated to bilingual teacher training for those of Ruthenian and Galician (now referred to collectively as Ukrainian) descent. Established in 1905 on Minto Street in Winnipeg, two years later the school was relocated to Brandon. It operated in the Strathcona Block on Tenth Street (built by Hughes and Company around 1905) until 1916 when the provincial government of T. C. Norris ended school instruction in languages other than English.

Principals

Period

Principal

1905-1916

James Thomas Cressey (1859-1950)

Teachers

Location

Year(s)

Teachers

Winnipeg

 

1905

B. Kudryk, Jacob Makakim, John O’Hara, D. Poersch

1906

J. F. Barker, D. D. Chisholm, E. A. Davies, John Owen, D. Poersch

Brandon

1907

J. F. Barker, Emily Davies, Taras Dempster Ferley

1908

J. F. Barker, Taras Dempster Ferley

1909

J. F. Barker, Taras Dempster Ferley, Frank Lord, Jacob Truthwaite Norquay, Albert Wareham

1910

Edward Boyes, Taras Dempster Ferley, Jacob Truthwaite Norquay, Albert Wareham, Nellie Wareham

1911-1912

Jacob Truthwaite Norquay, Albert Wareham

1913-1914

Peter Karmenski, Jacob Truthwaite Norquay

1915

A. Douglas Cavers, Jacob Truthwaite Norquay

1916

A. Douglas Cavers

Photos & Maps

Site Location (lat/long): N49.84743, W99.95155
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Community Builders, Early Ukrainian Teachers by John H. Syrnick
MHS Transactions, Series 3, 1964-65 Season

Sources:

Public Accounts, various years, Legislative Library of Manitoba.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

We thank Tom Mitchell for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 5 March 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.