Historic Sites of Manitoba: Locarno Apartments (1 Roslyn Road, Winnipeg)
This block complex on Roslyn Road in Winnipeg was designed and built in 1929 by owner Alexander Pollock. Between both brick structures, the smaller four-storey Building A and larger five-storey Building B, are a total of 27 apartments. Early site plans called for 44 apartments including a third building (a mirror image of Building A) that would flank Building B on the north side of Roslyn Road where the garages are situated. The last apartment appears to have been scrapped during excavation and basement construction phase of the other two blocks.
In January 2019, it became a municipally-designated historic building.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1054/1929, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Handsome apartments of 44 suites now under construction overlooking river avenue park,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 March 1929, page 34.
“The Locarno,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 September 1929, page 27.
Locarno Apartments, 1 Roslyn Road, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, April 2018.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
Page revised: 5 March 2022