Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

The University of Manitoba - Pictures From the Past

Manitoba Pageant, Autumn 1977, Volume 23, Number 1

This article was published originally in Manitoba Pageant by the Manitoba Historical Society on the above date. We make it available here as a free, public service.

Please direct inquiries to webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

In 1977 the University of Manitoba proudly celebrates its centennial year. Three photographs are selected here to remind us of crucial stages in its development.

After leaving all arts and science teaching to the church colleges (St. Boniface, St. John's, Manitoba and Wesley) for twenty-three years, the University assumed a teaching responsibility in 1900. The Science Building was constructed on the Broadway site across from the Legislative Buildings in 1901.

The Manitoba Agricultural College opened in Tuxedo in 1906. Considerable discussion followed proposing the relocation of other University buildings in the Tuxedo area, but this relocation never occurred. In 1912 the Agricultural College moved to a larger site in Fort Garry. The Tuxedo site became Fort Osborne Barracks.

The photograph of the Fort Garry site shows the Home Economics, Agriculture, Engineering and Residence buildings as they appeared in 1925. Senior students in Arts and Science moved to new buildings constructed on the Fort Garry Campus in 1931 but the junior students received instruction at the Broadway site until 1950. The early buildings at Fort Garry have remained to form a nucleus for the rapid growth and expansion of the last quarter century.

Page revised: 20 July 2009

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.