Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 83


This Old
Grain
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

A Few Notes on Old Deloraine

by William Harold Bell

Manitoba Pageant, Winter 1972, Volume 17, Number 2

This article was published originally in Manitoba Pageant by the Manitoba Historical Society on the above date. We make it available here as a free, public service.

Please direct inquiries to webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

George Bell, father of William Harold Bell, came west in 1885. Ten years later he purchased section 30-2-22, on the old Deloraine town site, where a third generation of the family now occupy the farm. Thanks also to Mrs. J. H. Renton and Mrs. W. H. Bell, Deloraine.

A number of families from Hamilton, Ontario settled between Turtle Mountain and Whitewater Lake in 1880, but when they learned that the Canadian Pacific Railway was going to run a line between these places, they chose a townsite on section 30-2-22, and named it Deloraine, after the home of the postmaster in Scotland.

A store, livery barn, hotel, bank, blacksmith shop, and a few houses were built, but when the CPR bypassed this site, most of the buildings were moved to the present site of Deloraine. One structure, a bank vault, built of native fieldstone by George Rickard, was left behind, and today it still stands on its original site, but the environs have changed, for it is now in my cattleyard.

A fieldstone bank vault at the site of Old Deloraine is probably the only one of its kind
still standing in Canada.
Source: Gordon Goldsborough (August 2007)

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: George Frederick Newcomb (1840-1907)

Page revised: 26 February 2012

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.