Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Manitoba Anniversaries

Manitoba Pageant, September 1961, Volume 7, Number 1

This article was published originally in Manitoba Pageant by the Manitoba Historical Society on the above date. We make it available here as a free, public service.

Please direct inquiries to webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

When Manitoba entered Confederation in 1870 it was a rectangular-shaped province extending about 130 miles east to west and about 110 miles north to south, an area of 13,928 miles. The northern boundary of this "Postage Stamp Province" was located just south of Boundary Creek at Winnipeg Beach. The great increase in population in the West between 1870 and 1881, led in '81, to the first extension of Manitoba's boundaries west to the present boundary and north to a line approximately 265 miles north of the international boundary.

The extension to our present boundaries took place in 1912. This year, then, we celebrate the 80th anniversary of the extension of 1881 which represented a five-fold increase in provincial area; next year we look forward to the 50th anniversary of the establishment of our present boundaries.

See Manitoba Pageant, April, 1956, From Postage Stamp to Keystone by Douglas Kemp.

Page revised: 1 July 2009

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.