Manitoba Organization: York School District No. 1783
The York School District was established formally in March 1915 and a schoolhouse site was reportedly selected within 19-12-27 West in what is now the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth. Surviving records suggest that a building was never built, and available daily attendance registers indicate that, from its inception, students in the York School District attended classes at Elkhorn School under the tutelage of Elkhorn School District teachers. The district was consolidated into the Elkhorn School District in January 1964 and its catchment area eventually became part of the Fort La Bosse School Division.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), York School No. 1783 Daily Registers, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, York School No. 1783 Daily Registers, GR0466, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Elkhorn School District No. 366 Daily Registers, GR0466, Archives of Manitoba.
Steel and Grass Roots, 1882-1982: History of Elkhorn by Elkhorn and District Historical Society, 1982.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 25 December 2018