Manitoba Organization: Union Terminals Curling Club / Terminal Curling Club
The Union Terminals Curling Club was opened in 1911 in a Canadian Northern Railway depot at corner of Main Stree and Water Avenue. Thomas L. Lowe was the driving force behind the formation of the club and served as its President numerous times. For the 1916-1917 season, the club became known as the Terminal Curling Club.
When their building was repurposed to a convention hall, the Terminal Club purchased the Assiniboine's four-sheet club location at 111 Mayfair Avenue for the 1917-1918 season. The club remained there and changed its name to the Caledonian Curling Club for the 1927-1928 season. The following season, the Caledonian Club moved to a building at William Avenue and Arlington Street. Many of the former Terminal Club members who worked for the CNR moved over to the new Fort Garry Curling Club that opened on Main Street.
“Curling Club changes name,” Manitoba Free Press, 8 October 1927, page 34.
“War time bonspiel will open Terminal Club's play Dec 10,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 Octobert 1916, page 19.
This page was prepared by Rick Mutton and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 November 2022