Manitoba Organization: St. Vital Curling Club
Winnipeg newspapers reference the St. Vital club being formed in 1913 but only having a brief existence. The article references the club being part of the St. Vital Agricultural College which was located on the southwest corner of St. Mary's Road and St.Vital Road with two sheets and adding four more sheets for the 1915 season. The club had 28 curlers and David Croom Whyte (1882-1928) served as the first President. In 1920, the club tried to revive itself with Robert Henry Lyon (1869-1948) serving as President for the 1920-1921 season.
The St. Vital Curling Club was founded in 1933, and the first rocks, borrowed, were thrown in December 1933, in a building owned by the St. Vital Agricultural Society. The building located at St. Anne's Road and Fermor Avenue, was used in summer months for agricultural fairs, displays, horse shows and animal exhibits. The newly formed St. Vital Curling Club arranged to lease the premises during winter months, which allowed three sheets of ice. The first club President was Allan J. Ramsay (1885-1952). The club affiliated with the Manitoba Curling Association in 1937.
As the curling club grew, a lean-to addition was added in the 1940s to house an additional sheet of ice. In 1950, the club purchased the building, and added another lean-to, which allowed for six sheets of ice. In 1954, a large supermarket chain purchased the land from the city.
In 1956 the club moved to its present location at St. Anne's Road and Regal Avenue. A new clubhouse was added in 1958, through fundraising that included an airplane as the prize, complete with flying lessons. Artificial ice was installed for the 1958-1959 season. In 1965, again through fundraising, this time with an automobile as the prize, the current pillar free barn was constructed. In October 1965, the new six-sheet arena was officially opened; in 1972, a second storey was added to the clubhouse, with bar facilities and dance floor.
Along with continued improvements, the latest upgrade has been the purchase of new curling rocks in 2012, and an update to the club’s interior to reflect the club colours of blue and gold.
To celebrate St. Vital Curling Club members, team Jennifer Jones, who won the Women’s Gold medal in the 2014 Winter Olympics at Sochi, Russia, the club commissioned a mural depicting the ladies’ accomplishment on its southern outer wall. As well, the city designated Regal Avenue with the honorary title of “Team Jones Way”.
“St. Vital Curling Club adds four sheets of ice for this season's play,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 December 1915, page 21.
“St. Vital will have curling - Lovers of the “roaring game” decide to revive old club,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 June 1920, page 14.
“New St. Vital rink is big step from 3 sheeter in 1933,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 November 1955, page 38.
This page was prepared by Rick Mutton and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 October 2022