When the first settlers came to the Starbuck area, southwest of Winnipeg, in the late 19th century, they felt the need to meet together for worship. After many small meetings in homes, adherents of the Presbyterian Church began meeting in the log building of Holyrood School, in the early 1880s, the first recorded meeting of which took place in May 1886. The present church building was erected in 1903. Twenty-two years later, following the merger of the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregationalist churches, it became known as Starbuck United Church. By the mid-1970s, it was part of a pastoral charge that included the communities of Sanford, Domain, and Ferndale.
A History of Starbuck United Church, 1904-2004
PDF document, 500 Kb
An MHS Centennial Organization Award was presented by Gordon Goldsborough on 16 May 2004.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Starbuck Presbyterian Church / Starbuck United Church (Starbuck, RM of Macdonald)
Page revised: 1 December 2018