Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


MHS Centennial Organization: Manitoba Women’s Institute

The MWI was established as a means of providing an educational and lobbying forum for Manitoba women. With a goal to improve rural families and communities through education and leadership, its origins can be traced to Morris where, in August 1910, a group of 37 local women had formed their own Women's Institute. Encouraged by Manitoba Premier Rodmond Roblin and Principal of the Manitoba Agricultural College, W. J. Black, two women were sent around the province to see about expanding the concept to other communities. Through November and December of 1910, they met other groups of interested women, in Emerson, Russell, Birtle, Strathclair, Minnedosa, Deloraine, Cartwright, Manitou, Morden, Roland, Miami, Carmen, Virden, Dauphin, Valley River, Headingley, Stonewall, Dugald, Birds Hill, and Swan Lake. The enthusiasm of the group at Morris was matched at these other communities, and the network grew from humble origins to include today some 30 local branches with over 500 members.

An MHS Centennial Organization Award was presented to the Manitoba Women’s Institute by Gordon Goldsborough on 14 May 2010.

Page revised: 15 May 2011

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.