Manitoba Organization: Martin’s Heights School District No. 16
The Martin’s Heights School District was organized formally sometime after December 1975. Based on limited information, it is presumed to have existed in the general vicinity of Rapid City because, in 1883, this town was cited by the district’s Secretary-Treasurer as being the closest post office.
The district’s catchment area is unknown and it remains to be determined if classroom instruction was ever provided. Surviving records from 1883 say the district was either “not in operation”, “no school”, or simply had its entries within official registers left blank.
The name was mentioned intermittently through the 1890s. The last recorded appearance in official records was in 1901, after which all referenced to its name and district number cease.
Board of Education registers (A 0050), GR7643, Archives of Manitoba.
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
Board of Education meeting minutes and office files (A 0052), GR1622, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Martin’s Heights School District No. 16, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
Post Offices and Postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 13 August 2022