Manitoba Organization: Winnipeg Little Theatre / Theatre 77 / Manitoba Theatre Centre / Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre
In July 1958, Theatre 77 merged with the Winnipeg Little Theatre (established 1921) to form the Manitoba Theatre Centre, the first English-speaking regional theatre company in Canada. It staged its first amateur and professional productions later that year in the Dominion Theatre.
In 1967, it was announced that the theatre would become part of the centennial centre complex in downtown Winnipeg.
The company gained royal patronage in 2010 to become the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre.
“Drama groups merging in new theatre centre,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 July 1958, page 17.
“Theatre centre had a big year,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 January 1963, page 21.
“Theatre goes to centre,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 June 1967, page 1.
“Good season at MTC gives record earnings,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 June 1976, page 2.
“MTC appoints new president,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 September 1984, page 48.Error processing SSI file
Page revised: 17 December 2022