Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Manitoba Organization: Hoof and Horn Club

Formed in 1919, the members of the Hoof and Horn Club included merchants, shippers, farmers, ranchers, packers, railwaymen, administrators, and others with livestock interests. Some members were connected with the Winnipeg Livestock Exchange, though the club largely became the social auxiliary arm of the Union Stockyards in St. Boniface. During the first decade, club membership was around 150 then increased to 200 by 1935, and 300 by 1937. The club hosted an large annual picnic, during which the trading elements of the Stockyards were closed, and it fielded a variety of sports teams, including football, softball, curling, and soccer, often in the Mercantile League.

As a 1967 Canadian centennial project to celebrate the livestock industry, the club erected a monument and statue of a large Hereford bull in front of the Exchange Building at the Union Stockyards.

Presidents

Period

President

1919-1921

?

1921-1922

W. McGougan

1922-1929

William Edgar McKay

1929-1930

?

1930-1937

Norman James Ross

1937-1941

?

1941-1952

Herbert Laurence “Bert” Mansell (1892-1963)

1952-1967

?

1967

George Edward “Ted” Cormode (?-1999)

?-?

James Henry Gibson (?-1976)

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Stockyards (Marion Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hoof and Horn Club Hereford Bull Centennial Monument (Marion Street, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Additional honors accruing to Winnipeg Carnival Queen,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 February 1922, page 10.

“Hoof and Horn Club organize for sports” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 March 1922, page 10.

“Mercantile soccer,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 June 1922, page 10.

“Canadian steers in big demand on British market,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 February 1925, page 6.

“Hoof and Horn Club holds annual dinner,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 February 1925, page 11.

“Harry Rudd joins hole-in-one club,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 June 1925, page 19.

“Two officers of Hoof and Horn Club honored,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 January 1926, page 2.

“Visit yesterday to Stockyards is big success,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 July 1926, page 8.

“Norwood [Hoof and Horn Club],” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 January 1928, page 5.

“McDonald soft ball President,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 April 1928, page 15.

“Hoof and Horn Chief,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 February 1930, page 3.

“Hoof and Horn Club meets at annual dinner,” Winnipeg Evening Tribune, 2 March 1935, page 6.

“Cattlemen make merry at 15th annual banquet of Hoof and Horn Club,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 March 1937, page 6.

“Hoof and Horn holds annual dinner,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 March 1938, page 15.

“Rosser pioneer farmer is dead,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 March 1941, page 10.

“Heather curlers wind up,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1942, page 12.

“Hoof and horn Cllb [sic] holds 19th banquet,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 March 1941 page 8.

“Norwood old boys recall past times at annual reunion,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 March 1941, page 5.

“Bert Mansell heads Hoof and Horn Club,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 February 1949, page 3.

“Hoof, Horn Club,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 July 1949, page 15.

“Barely enough receipts to hold cattle market,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 July 1950, page 19.

“H. L. Mansell heads Hoof and Horn Club,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 January 1951, page 3.

Obituary [H. L. “Bert” Mansell], Winnipeg Free Press, 13 August 1963, page 20.

“Mutiny on the Bounty,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 September 1967, page 3.

Obituary [Joseph Maddox (c1890-1969)], Winnipeg Free Press, 11 November 1969, page 36.

Obituary [Bruce MacPherson (c1882-1972)], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 November 1972, page 29.

Obituary [James Austin Coughlin (c1904-1974) ], Winnipeg Free Press, 11 July 1974, page 21.

Obituary [James Henry Gibson], Winnipeg Free Press, 11 September 1976, page 48.

“Vandals destroy steer statue,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 September 1989, page 11.

Obituary [George Edward “Ted” Cormode (?-1999)], Winnipeg Free Press, 5 January 1999, page C9.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 9 August 2016

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.